Being a food addict means being dependent on the good feelings gotten from consuming certain foods (usually common with high palatable foods such as sugar, fat, and salt) which often results in a continuous need to eat, even when not hungry.
Main causes of food addiction
– hormonal imbalances,
– abnormalities in various brain structures,
– side effects of certain medications,
– family history.
– emotional abuse,
– sexual abuse,
– victim/survivor of traumatic events,
– inability to cope with negative situations in a healthy way,
– chronic low self esteem,
– experiencing grief or loss.
– disturbance in family functions,
– pressure from peers,
– pressure from society,
– social violation,
– child abuse,
– stressful life events.
What happens when one is addicted to food?
- One eat more than you can tolerate physically
- You eat till the point of feeling ill
- You go out of your way to obtain certain foods
- You eat in secret or isolation
- You notice a decrease in energy
- You find it difficult to concentrate
- Start having sleep disorders
- Everything becomes irritable
- Digestive disorders
- Suicidal ideas
Effects of food addiction
- Physical effects which include;
stroke, heart diseases, diabetes, obesity,malnutrition, chronic fatigue, chronic pain, reduced sex drive, sleep disorders, headache, kidney/liver failure, osteoporosis.
- Psychological effects which include;
low self esteem, depression, panic attacks, increased feeling of anxiety, emotional detachment, suicidal ideas.
- Social effects which include;
decreased performance at work, decreased performance at school, isolation from loved ones, division within family units, loss of interest in activities, avoidance at functions, jeopardizing finances, jeopardizing career.
How to treat an addiction (food).
- Support groups
- Nutrition therapies by a nutritionist
- medication such as antidepressants
In conclusion, addictions though interwoven can be controlled a step a day and can as well be triggered by just a bit of it. So as such, never deal with addictions alone, it only create more fear and isolation. Get appropriate help today.