Rice is an economic crop of the Oryza family with over 20 different varieties (List of rice Varieties). The Oryza sativa and Oryza glaberrima are those cultivated in Nigeria. It is important in household food security, ceremonies, nutritional diversification, income generation and employment.
The nutritional composition of different types rice
Benefits of rice
Some benefits of rice include:
- Rice serves as a great source of energy as it is rich in Carbohydrates, Vitamins and Minerals.
- It helps to reduce obesity and health conditions associated with being overweight due to its low levels of fat, cholesterol and sodium.
- It is a rich source of vitamins and minerals like niacin, vitamin D, Calcium, Fiber, Iron, Thiamine, and Riboflavin. These vitamins provide the foundation for body metabolism, immune system health, and general functioning of the organ systems.
- It help to reduce the effect of conditions like Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), and diarrhea as a result of stimulated growth of useful bacteria which helps with bowel movement.
- Rice water help delay the appearance of wrinkles and other premature signs of aging that can affect the skin because of its antioxidant capacity.
- A recent research has shown that rice water exhibit hair care effects, such as decreasing surface friction and improving hair elasticity. Rice water has inositol, a carbohydrate, that can repair damaged hair, as well as protect it from damage.
Underutilization of rice in Nigeria
Rice has been used in making some dishes like; Fried rice, Jollof rice, Concoction rice, Coconut rice, White rice, Vegetable rice, and Tuwo but only a few know that rice can be used as flour , slurry (like pap), oil, wine, starch, vinegar, tea, noodles, syrup and milk. I will be giving the how to for those later on.
In a nutshell,
Rice is a great and rich staple food which comes with a lot of benefits, uses and can be a source of revenue to grow the naira if fully utilized. #growthenaira.